Monday, June 15, 2009

EPIPHANY



After over than two months residing in Perugia as a foreign student, last Friday was the first time I toured the city as a student slash tourist, i.e. having a guide slash Italian language teacher explain the historical arches, buildings and streets around Perugia, in the first outing session of our cultural class (after two months learning in a classroom only!).
Knowing more about the stories behind those buildings (dated thousands years ago), I could not help imagining how hard life must have been back then, when people lived in constant fear, of the enemies, of the war, of being killed—so much that it seems to me, all their construction technique was based on security reasons. They had narrow and winding streets to facilitate escaping on foot (and avoid the enemies’ arrows), they had a kind of stairs that they could fold afterwards, to make it harder for the enemies to invade their house, etc. And as I passed those streets and absorbed the historical facts, I wondered if back then, there was also a girl like me, with the same passions and lots of things in common, who could have been my close friend, had we lived in the same period of time.
And my imagination, like always, did not stop there. It went on and on and on. But the thing that struck me most was, I’d never felt so inspired like that before, even since I arrived here in Italy. I have passed those streets and seen those buildings lots of time before, and yet I took them for granted. They have grown familiar and usual for me, to (almost) lose their (historical) meaning, and I am so glad that now I can see them in a different point of view.
Of course, I don’t blame myself for being ‘blind’ for the first two months. Being in an adaptation process in almost every aspect of my life, plus fighting against the loneliness (that every now and then assaults me, esp. when I feel so cut out of the life of my beloved ones in Indonesia—skyping regularly ain’t enough to cover their absence around me) and having to go back and forth to the questura (immigration office) to apply for my stay permit, left no much space for any creativity or curiosity.
And I have been a slug in writing, something that I enjoy a lot and I want to do all my life. I don’t even write my journals faithfully anymore, while there is so much to tell and so many things and feelings I want to remember afterwards.
So, the outing last week was not only improving my knowledge in history, but most of all, it inspired me. It recovered my curiosity and enableb me to (once again) imagine. And despite of our laments of too much sun and being hungry, I think I would love to repeat the tour, maybe by myself, and allow myself to see once again the locks that the lovebirds put in the lamps near the market where you can view Assisi, or pass the Street of Peace, where two arguing people (or families) made peace.
It’s so amazing what an outdoor lesson can do to you after spending so many hours in the classroom. I think we should do it more.

No comments: