Thursday, February 23, 2006

WHAT A FAKE!

Be careful if you are stopped by a bunch of people at the mall who asked you to scratch a coupon to get a bonus. I was wasting my time listening to their lecture about the stuff they are trying to sell to you (well, trying is not the right word, pushing is). They asked me a quiz, and then they all cheered up for my ‘luck’…and then they asked me to pull one coupon again out of five, and when I got one with three pictures of electronic equipments, they faked an awed expression on their faces (none of them is likely to get an oscar)…”ohhhh…how lucky you are…”, “Wow…noone has ever got three at once…”, “Remember me when you are rich..” and other idle talks like that. I was not stupid, thinking people I don’t know could easily gave way fortune to me? Come on, this is a real world! Instead, I was just alarmed. There was no thrill at all inside me that I had won anything. I knew they were up to something, but believe me, there was no way you could try to wiggle out of that situation and escaped. They were practically mobbing me. They asked me to talk with someone on the phone, who convinced me that I was the luckiest girl on earth, bringing all those ‘free gifts’ piling up around me…and at the end (I knew it..I knew it!!)…they were forcing me to buy one of their ‘cheapest’ products, which costs millions, as a second-split decision, while I don’t even need those things. Thank you for thinking that I am that rich, and I am ok with people trying to do business the best they can, but it’s just the deceit and faking up that made me sick.
Finally when I had enough and my patience was about to turn into anger, I rose up (for fearing I might explode – it was almost 5 pm and I didn’t even have time to have lunch, and still I had some errands to do, so I got all cranky, don’t blame me) and interrupted their endless talk. “Give me fifteen minutes to think, and if I don’t come back, just cancel my luck.” Off I went out of that terrible store, and I didn’t even think twice to hail a cab and go home.

No comments: