Tuesday, May 02, 2006

HEAVEN, HELL AND HUMAN LOGIC

I found myself listening unintentionally to a seemingly exciting conversation of at least three people, distracting me from John Grisham’s The Partner I was reading.
I was not a part of the conversation, I was just eavesdropping and totally unseen. I could tell that they agreed on one thing: Human logic to determine whether someone is going to heaven or hell. If he has done good deeds, kindness, charity and virtues, then he deserves heaven. If he has been wicked, cruel, stingy, and did many bad things, then of course he deserves hell. They were sure God knew what was fair and what was not. And that what they believed sounded quite fair. So that must be the truth.
Says who?
“I believe in God, hence I obey the first commandment,” said one person. And she added on. “I don’t steal, I never kill.” She sounded certain that she’s good enough for heaven. Being good means heaven, and hell for the opposite. That sounds so simple and believable. Even to my ears. Had I heard it years ago, I would have agreed. But now I know more than that, thanks to the Book I read, the songs I heard, the people who revealed the truth to me, and of course, the One that planted a desire to know more than merely human logic to my heart, and kept His promise, that whoever seeks might find.
Being in this rotten world for almost 25 years, I can’t precisely imagine how heaven will really look like. But I know it’s the place where the holy, just and loving God is. And His standards are of course higher than ours, limited human beings. Only the holy ones will be there, because God can’t stand impurity.
What makes us impure? Just because we believe there’s a God, and never steal, and never kill, it means we’re pure enough to enter heaven?
What about those ulterior motives hidden in our hearts? What about those dirty little secrets we keep to ourselves? What about that anger we refuse to let go?
Now that we have lots of things to confess, do we still dare to think we’re holy enough according to God’s standards?
If I were God, I would laugh at our arrogance. And I would cry over that too. People sometimes think they’re too smart to keep searching, simply because they’re sure they’ve known everything.
This kind of folks and their belief in human logic strike my heart with grief. If only they were not too skeptical towards what other people say, if only they had enough humility to doubt themselves, and to start seeking the truth, the answer is there. And the secret of how to get to heaven is told everywhere. The blood of The Innocent One was shed, once for all, thousands of years ago. The gift is still offered, though.
Please, take it, before it’s too late. The decision is all yours.

No comments: