Wednesday, April 19, 2006

SARAH, MY LOVELY SWISS LADY


I thank God that I went to an international church in Bandung on that Sunday morning almost 4 years ago, and dropped by a coffee table afterwards to get me some tea, and saw her. Didn’t know that God was doing another great thing for me, by sending an angel like her to be my true friend.
Big blue eyes, bright smile, hair all shining like gold beneath the rays of the morning sun, and heart of gold too.
She’s much sweeter than any Swiss chocolate, more elegant than any Swiss watch.
She could eat without a spoon, stir her coffee with her toothbrush, sleep on the floor with a thin mattress, walk with me for eight hours in a jungle, being catcalled on a street as ‘bule! or mister!’, bathe and wash her clothes in the rivers out in the boonies in Sumatra and Kalimantan and I NEVER heard her complain about my country. Not even once.
“I don’t understand why people here complain about rain,” she said. And off we went swimming under the heavy rain and roaring thunder like two crazy gals. I like a mischief in her, cos I am like that too, like when she chose to skip the Bahasa Indonesia test at her school the following day and instead, spent the whole evening ice-skating with me (or helped me not to fall, exactly).
I admire her charitable character and her desire to always help others, even those she doesn’t know, and I love her thick European accent and her sweet voice on the phone calling me her darling.
I can tell her all of my feelings and she NEVER judge me like some others. I can tell her all my struggles and problems and she is always there to help and console and make me feel lovable.
Sarah, if I were offered all the money in the world, plus all the fame and a chance to be a published writer, plus a round trip to Italy, and a faithful dancing partner, over our friendship, I would still choose you.
ICH LIEBE DICH, MA CHERIE.

No comments: