Monday, June 05, 2006

MANIK-MANIK, MASSAGE, AND MEXICAN FOOD

Another adventure with my sister’s family on the week-end.
We went bead hunting (manik-manik=beads) to a shopping center. It always thrills me to be at the store which sells beads and other stuff to sew or crochet (I don’t know how to call it in English-somebody shed me some light here), because I grew up going there a lot with my Mom, who is a tailor.
Anyway, this store’s selection of beads was amazing, even my 7 year old nephew was enthusiastic scooping some beads, helping me and his Mom (or pestering, actually) pick those beautiful things, while his younger brother was ‘tied’ by his Dad, who just sat around the corner and kept yelling the warnings not to shop too much.
We went home and started to design some necklace and earrings. I just love it! It kills my boredom and expands my creativity, and seems to be a prospective business too. See my other blog (mybelovedbeads.blogspot.com) for the outcomes.

Sunday afternoon, with all my muscle sore from creating too much, it was lovely to have a two-hour body massage! Relaxing, and it helped my sleep to be better.

But the Mexican food was a turn off. I was suddenly hungry when I saw the delivery brochure from a new Mexican restaurant (I bet it was fake) laying there on my sister’s table, and with so much greed ordered a portion of chicken tacos and beef enchiladas, a long with two small piece of burritos. I told my sister that dinner that night was on me, but we were too tired to go out so we decided to order by phone. Anyway, she and her husband chose to have some foods from a Chinese restaurant and it was pretty good.
I started to love Mexican foods when I was living with The Farlands, an American couple, also dear friends of mine, two years ago. I loved Katie’s enchiladas and tacos… they were so yummy that even now a thought of them makes my mouth water!
But the thing with those foods I ordered that night was…. no cumin on it, and lots of cilantro (and I agree with Karl that cilantro tastes like soap!). And it’s a little bit pricey, but not really worth it. Next time if I pick up a phone and ring a restaurant who claims to serve Mexican foods, I’ll ask them if they use cumin or not (and no cilantro please!), who knows there will be jalapeño as well!

No comments: