Tuesday, June 20, 2006

THINGS I’VE JUST LEARNED ABOUT PAGLIUCA

After more than 11 years rooting for one of the best goalie in the world, Gianluca Pagliuca, who kindled my love for Italy in the first place, I thought I had known ‘almost’ all about him.
But, I was surprised to learn several new things about him while reading his cool unofficial web (www.vivapagliuca.com). There’s some good and bad news.
Good news: he intends to play as long as possible, and then open up a goalkeeper school in his hometown Bologna… (Italy will surely have lots of great goalies in the future, in say, 14 years to come, I’m expecting one of them to be Mattia Pagliuca, his own son)
(According to my Italian source, there’s also a rumor that Inter might recruit him for the next season. Sure he’ll sit on the bench most of the time, but that is fine…it will be cool to see him again with La Beneamata, the team he played for when I started to like him)
He also owns a resto in Milan, which he runs with Simona Ventura. I have to go there someday for a nice dinner ehehehe… but I bet it must be very pricey.
Bad news: someone has already written his biography (Gianfranco Civolani), titled ‘Pagliuca, una vita da numero 1’. Why is it bad, because I had wanted to be the first to do so (mimpi!!!). Naah, it was and is still in my ‘fancy’ rather than ‘dreams’ category. Anyway, would love to read it!

No comments: